Teeth Bleaching Myths

Bleaching your teeth is now fairly commonplace, and it’s often done at home. Since it’s so easy to get ingredients and do the procedure, many are wondering what the drawback is. There is no obvious downside, says Dr. Sid Solomon, but the danger comes from not following directions adequately. Here are some of the myths about home whitening kits dispelled.

Bleaching Hurts

If teeth bleaching hurts or lead to sensitive gums, then there is a good chance you spilled some of the solution onto your gum line. If exposed for a long period of time, it will lead to sensitivity and some pain. That’s why it’s important to follow the directions and get assistance if you’re unsure of what to do.

Bleaching is Permanent

This is an obvious myth, but people seem to buy into it anyway. There is nothing about what your dentist does that is any more permanent than what you can do over the counter. The difference is in technique, and sometimes the quality of the solution and procedure. Your dentist offers a safe bleaching backed by experience and technique, using solutions they have tested and found success with.

You Don’t Need to Consult a Dentist

If you have sensitive teeth, or some form of gum disease, then bleaching can really complicate recovery and daily life. You should also ask your dentist if they have any recommendations. Non-serious cases often only need an over the counter treatment but the dentist may have a better option at an affordable price.